Spin Transfer Technologies (STT) believes that its technology holds the potential to enable MRAM to replace not only all embedded non-volatile memories, but also cost effectively replace SRAM and persistent DRAM.
To do so, MRAM must match or exceed speed, size, power consumption, and endurance specifications as well as the cost structure of SRAM and DRAM. While MRAM has inherently lower power consumption and is non-volatile, today’s solutions meet neither the speed nor endurance of existing SRAM and DRAM products.
STT’s patented technologies are seeking to solve this trade-off:
- Differentiated perpendicular magnetic tunnel junction (pMTJ) design and processing
- Leveraging its world class magnetics team and state of the art R&D Fab, STT is developing smaller, faster and easier-switching pMTJ structures: the core magnetics technology of MRAM
- STT’s own R&D Fab line allows it to accelerate the refinement of the structure
- Spin Polarizer
- A proprietary, patented magnetic polarizing layer which materially boost the key parameters of the pMTJ, including retention and lower power consumption
- Has the potential to be used with others’ pMTJs
- The Engine
- A collection of techniques and circuit innovations uniquely tuned to the physics of the pMTJ designed to extend the switching endurance of any pMTJ by up to six orders of magnitude. This benefit requires no changes to the pMTJ
- The Engine leads to smaller write currents (lower power consumption) and smaller base transistors
- The Engine is the culmination of the synergy achieved at STT between magnetic material scientists and circuit and systems engineers
- Like the Spin Polarizer, the Engine has the potential to be used with others’ pMTJs
STT’s Spin Polarizer and Engine have the scope for universal application across MRAM technologies developed by all industry players.
“NEW! Using MRAM in Place of SRAM Download
Advanced MRAM Technology – For Higher Performance, Low Power Applications Download